Light patterns, reflections and projections – how light has changed my environment
WEEK 3: EXPLORATION #3: PAY ATTENTION TO & DOCUMENT LIGHT PATTERNS, REFLECTIONS, & PROJECTIONS
I started looking and now I can’t stop! Light patterns are everywhere! And they are wonderful and elusive…I simply cannot catch them all!
1. the track lights throw straight lines in every direction on the ceiling of the church – also, one light makes polka dots on the ceiling
2. the sunlight plays on one side of each tiny torso in my sculpture – highlighting each curve
3. Every plastic surface I see catches & bounces light in a hundred ways
4. the trim where the floor and wall meet (plastic) shoots the light in a straight line fast and hard down the hall as I walk – I can never catch it (and never will)
5. the steel can on the windowsill is lit up like a mirror with a light on it
6. the sun coming in the windows lays yellow rectangles all over the floor & walls
7. the shadows on the floor are layered – piling up on top of each other
8. as I look around the studio right now I see that light takes the form of everything it lands on – circles, lines, dots, squiggles, squares, triangles, streaks, stripes, cracks…it’s everywhere! it colors everything I see
9. the train passes – my reality of the train is based on the distorted, curved reflection of a partial train coming through the window & playing across the glass in a framed painting on the wall – an impression of a reflection of the train layered over a painted impression of someone else’s reality
10. one penny catches the light – one bright spot that’s always there, I keep going back to it, I find that bright spot everywhere I go
Okay…that’s the list I’ve come up with for EXPLORATION #3. I’m really excited about looking at light and how my impression of my environment has changed based on my heightened awareness of the light all around me.
And now for a few images of light sneaking around my world…