Calling all Knitters…around the world
Greetings everyone! I haven’t posted in a while as I’ve been wonderfully busy making scarves, having art shows and preparing for both. I have exciting news – I will be one of two artists in the show Passages here at Artworks Loveland in December and January! And I need your help!
Here’s where you come in (and yes, even if you live in Tasmania…I mean you!) – I am planning to do an installation that covers an entire wall with tiny, hand-knitted shelves. On each shelf is a special object or group of objects I’ve been collecting over the years. Here’s a photo of a sampling of shelves:
And a close up of one of the shelves:
I need over one hundred of these lovely little shelves knitted by the end of next week (that’s November 29) so I can treat them to be stiff enough to hold the weight of my lovely collected objects. My idea is to have groups of shelves by colors – as in the photo, there are 3 green shelves, I may have 5 blue shelves, 3 yellow shelves, 5 brown shelves…I like to work with odd numbers.
How can you be a part of this installation piece? Pick out your favorite yarn (or any old yarn you have lying about), follow the pattern below and knit up a group of 3 or 5 shelves…or a couple of groups. The shelves don’t take long to knit as they are quite small (roughly 3 inches x 4 inches) using worsted weight or thereabouts yarn and size 7 needles.
Then stick them in an envelope and send them my way. I know, we have to move fast to get these little guys knitted, in the mail and at my studio by the end of next week! So, if you are reading this and are interested in playing, get out those needles and get to work! Also, unless you send the shelves anonymously, your name will be listed as a contributor under the title of the piece in the show. (My way of saying thank you to all who help with this piece…and how cool would it be to have names from around the world listed under the title!)
A Quick Review:
- Get our your size 7 needles and some worsted weight yarn
- Knit up 3 or 5 shelves in the same color following the pattern below (if you want to do more, get out another color of yarn)
- Put them in an envelope and send them to me: Abbie Powers – 310 N Railroad Ave Ste 104 – Loveland, CO 80537 And if you live in Loveland, drop them on by the studio.
- Check back later in December for photos of the completed installation piece!
Any questions? If not…happy knitting!
- cast on 13 stitches
- knit 5 rows
- purl one row, knit one row – repeat this grouping 8 times for a total of 16 rows
- knit 3 more rows…then bind off on a 4th knit row
- so it should go like this by row – k, k, k, k, k, p, k, p, k, p, k, p, k, p, k, p, k, p, k, p, k, k, k, k, bind off with k
And last but not least, if you live in the Loveland area, feel free to stop by Friday, December 14 for Night on the Town to see the show!